Monday, June 9, 2008

Video Two: Learning the Rules for Computer Use

After watching the assigned video the objective of this blog was to answer the following questions:

1. What two problems did the teacher identify as she prepared to use the computers and how were these challenges overcome?

2. Describe two activities (not educational in nature) that you have NOT been successful due to lack of proper planning.

The two teachers identified a couple of challenges while planning their lesson. The first was the limited amount of technological resources available for the class. There were only 14 computers and the teachers had a class of 20 students. The solution that was determined was to partner students in groups of two allowing everyone access the computer as well as the ability to work with a partner building collaboration and group skills.

The second concern the teachers voiced was moving the students to the computers. Often times this could be chaotic and unorganized so they wanted to ensure they had a smooth transition of getting the students to the computers. The idea that was used was to create color-coded cards that divided the students up into two groups. Once the groups were identified it allowed the teachers to easily group the students and move them over to the computers having each student bring a chair with them.

Two additional concerns expressed at the end of the video included: the need for sharing and cooperative learning, and the need for the teacher as well as the students to understand and know how to use the computers. The key features identified during the video for effective and teaching and learning to be achieved were collaborative learning and classroom management. The Learning Environment Rubric discussed in chapter two of our text targets physical space, classroom climate and attitudes as determinates of the learning environment. It is obvious that these teachers possessed a positive attitude planning and teaching the lesson. Furthermore the physical space components were addressed in the planning stage of the activity to establish proper safety and to promote collaborative activities between students. Finally classroom climate emphasized an active learning environment. The students were able to develop a list of rules for using the computers and worked together on the assignment given in class.

When I was in college completing my undergraduate degree I worked for a home health agency on their performance improvement team. Every week my boss would place up a thought of the week that would allow employees to reflect upon as well as encourage them to incorporate these suggestions into their daily work activities. One that I will never forget was the Seven P’s to Planning which was: Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. I try to live by the Seven P’s of Planning however at times I fail to do so. Two activities that I have not been successful at due to proper planning would be cooking and sewing. As the oldest child I often prepared dinner for my brother and sister when my parents were working late. Today as a woman I am pretty terrible at cooking not because I can’t cook but because I fail to properly plan to cook. I never have all the ingredients needed, when shopping for a meal I do not prepare a list of the things I need, I do not manage my time wisely as I cook, etc. I know if I sat down and planned properly I would be much more successful at this activity however my inability to plan has led me to at least a four day a week menu of macaroni and cheese!

The second task I have failed at is learning how to sew. I minored in Interior Design in college and have always wanted a sewing machine to be able to make duvet covers, pillowcases, and curtains. This past Christmas I received a sewing machine so that I could pursue my hobby. Six months later I have still failed to take my sewing machine out and use it. If I had planned correctly I would have taken sewing lessons first to gain beginner skills on a sewing machine. This would have helped me gain an understanding for the features I needed on a sewing machine to perform the tasks I wanted to.

I welcome and look forward to hearing your comments, suggestions or feedback!

No comments: